Saturday, August 4, 2012

Bond, James Bond

After watching the Olympics, my wife and I decided we wanted to watch James Bond--come on, you know you liked it when the Queen jumped out of the heli with 007.

Nevertheless, we were watching the odd Quantum of Solace last night and were amazed at some of the chase scenes. As we were amazed, I commented how incredible writers are. Most people watching the film would think about the actors, stuntmen, or the special effects.

Not I.

No, I looked at it and saw a clever storyboard creator and editor who are telling a suspenseful story based on the ideas that originated from a writer and director's vision. Well done to those who conceived the idea. Sure, all of the other people deserve a pat on the back for their ability to make the work come to life, but remember the idea started in the mind(s) of a person.

Incredible.

It inspires me to think of my writing as though it is being splashed on the big screen. Where will my audience need pushing to feel nervous for the characters? Just when you think the hero has made it out of the situation, is there a large beam or cable that can suddenly come crashing down on his head? What about the best friend of the hero? Can she suddenly reveal she is a baddie by making a secret exchange and then gun fire ensues?

All I can say is, it reminded me to up the stakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let the countdown begin...